Monday, March 16, 2015

an unofficial announcement

Two years ago today, I was digging through a pile of papers searching for a cleaner copy of a manuscript for a half-finished novel that I could scan and edit. Instead, I found a synopsis and two completed scripts for a comic book series I had tried to sell, but abandoned when I couldn't find an artist. I read what I had written many years ago and realized that I could easily turn this into a series of books. The next night, I sat on the edge of my bed and typed on my tablet, “It was another crappy Friday for Beth McGill,” and the adventures of the Monkey Queen began.

In the time since, I've completed and published three books and two short stories. Including works in progress, I estimate I've written over 200,000 words about Michiko, Beth and their friends. And I can't think of anything I've done in my life that's brought me more joy and satisfaction.

Since I'm a sucker for anniversaries, I'm using today for an unofficial announcement. The official one will come later, when there's a cover and a blurb and a confirmed publication date. But I'm happy to announce, unofficially, that the fourth Monkey Queen book will be coming, if everything works out okay, in late May. The title is A Tiding Of Magpies. And Willow will be doing the cover (YAY!).

Tomorrow, to mark the day I actually rediscovered my storytelling muse, I'll put up a special advance peek at the new book. It's a story within a story, my take on an ancient folktale, and it does have some connections to the main story. What might they be? Sorry, but you'll have to wait until May to find them.

But today is a day to be grateful I found that old synopsis. And it's a day to, again, give thanks to everyone who's helped in the last two years, in any way, to get the Monkey Queen stories done and published. I'm a writer, and I'm so glad I get to do this, and I will always be grateful and thankful that I'm telling stories again. Thank you, one and all, and be sure to come back tomorrow to read about “The Author, The Archer, And The King Of Magpies”.

No comments:

Post a Comment