Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pluto

There are many things I could be blogging about tonight. I could be talking sales. I could be promoting cool stuff by friends and by total strangers. I could put up more photos and work Groot into them somehow. But I think all that can wait for another day.

Humanity is capable of many acts of pettiness, of cruelty, of evil. What's amazing is that, every once in a while, we manage to get something right. And one of those moments is taking place before our eyes, now that we get to see the first close-up photos of Pluto (and Charon). We're seeing and learning so many amazing things, and it's a tribute to everyone involved that New Horizons worked so well and is bringing us so much info.

Here's to hoping that, where space exploration is concerned, we won't call it a day. There's so much more to discover out there, so many wonders in the universe. I may not be around to see it, but I hope that someday we return to the moon, stand on Mars and the asteroids, fly alongside a comet. I hope that someday, humanity finally gets its act together, leaves pettiness and cruelty and evil behind, and proves itself worthy of traveling to the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment